[Sca-cooks] cow butter?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 6 01:38:09 PDT 2010

Susan commented:

<<< I know there was a discussion not long ago about schmaltz.  I was raised
with schmaltz being rendered chicken fat but I know others who grew up with
other cultures who recognize schmaltz as the fat of other animals.  The
entire thread is probably available through the Florilegium somewhere. >>>

Yes, I've been planning to dig that info out. Unfortunately that material is still in my holding files and has yet to have been incorporated in to the online files yet.

When it is, it will be in this file in the FOOD section:
cooking-oils-msg (78K) 6/10/07 Period cooking and food oils.

I would be happy to put updating this file on the fast track if there is a need.

I think Susan has summed it up pretty well, though. And, I too, until we had the discussion here, thought "schmaltz" was specifically chicken fat. It is, but only for the Jews, whose religion prohibits the use of pork.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com