[Sca-cooks] raw milk

Antonia Calvo dama.antonia at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 13:55:21 PDT 2010

Elaine Koogler wrote:
> I have always wondered what kind of effect all of the anti bacterial soaps,
> etc. are having on us.  We didn't have all of those when I was a child...and
> I have managed to survive!

I think some people have developed an absolutely irrational fear of
germs-- probably due to advertising of said products.  When I was a kid,
we mainly did things like covering our mouths when we coughed and
washing our hands after using the toilet and before eating.

Also, I think people have developed some weird ideas about food and food
contamination-- like, if a chicken walks past the kitchen door, everyone
will get salmonella.

> I didn't have any kind of disease beyond the
> normal childhood ones like measles, mumps, chicken pox and scarlet fever.

I had the chicken pox, but was vaccinated for measles, mumps, etc.  And
that's another thing-- everyone's worried about "germs"-- but there's
been a surge in *not* getting kids vaccinated.  What the heck is that about?

Anyway, the only time I use antibacterial soap is in the feast kitchen--
I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but when large
quantities/numbers are involved, it can't hurt.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?