[Sca-cooks] Raw Milk

Linda Larson linda_a_larson at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 23:23:10 PDT 2010

The main reason that e. coli is a problem in bovines is related to diet.  Ruminants who are factory farmed are fed a corn-based diet.  This creates an environment in their digestive systems in which e. coli will thrive. This is the reason large commercial farms give so many antibiotics to their cattle.  Corn is not a natural food for bovines, but the perception among many farmers is that grass-fed cattle are more expensive to raise.   E.coli is virtually unknown in grass-fed ruminants.

I keep dairy goats, who mainly browse on brush, and eat grass or hay.  I have never had health problems with my animals, and I use their milk for cheesemaking.  I know my animals individually, so if one is having an "off day," I am aware immediately, and can intervene using a wholistic approach.  If you buy milk from a farm, you can probably tell whether the animals are healthy and the farm is well kept.  Personally, I'd rather take my chances with bacteria than with the drugs and hormones that are in commercial milk.  At least we know what bacteria do.

Lidia