[Sca-cooks] Auntie Arwen and medieval spice mixes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 12 00:05:23 PDT 2010

Phlip replied to me with:
<<< She's got a pretty gooid selection, stefan. Her shop is well worth
setting some time aside to visit and ratchetjaw with her.>>>

Okay, I could have been clearer. I was specifically asking her about documentably period European spice mixtures. She only had a few of those. She did have quite a number of other spice mixtures of all kinds, such as the one you mentioned. And if she has taken advantage of the pointers to recipes I sent her and increased her stock since we talked, in the last few years, then so much the better.

It's often hard to know where to start when you step into such founts of plenty. I did that with the Pepperer's Guild and I still have things like Frankincense and Star Anize I've not found a use for. Not much saffron left, though. :-(

Stefan

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Stefan li Rous

<stefanlirous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
<<< Several years ago, when I was last at Pennsic, I stopped by and talked with her and she only had a few spice mixtures but was wondering what others might be available. I pointed her to this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the Florilegium and later sent her the link. She said she would probably be adding some additional mixtures from that file. Unfortunately, I've not been back to Pennsic to check out which ones she might have added. >>>

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com