[Sca-cooks] Llibre de coch de a canonja de Tarragona

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 14:57:48 PDT 2010

     Emilio, personally, I only deal with Castile until 1474. My
inclusion of Sent Sovi and Nola are only in passing to demonstrate the
variation of Catalan cuisine.  I have found that the Llibre de coch de
la canonja de Tarragona was published in Barcelona in 1935 but a copy
does not seem to be available in the National Library of Spain. Josep
Llandonosa, however, mentions the manuscript in La Cocina Medieval,
which I have reviewed extensively - I thought :-[ ! Anyway looking this
up I found that the MS from 1331 contains a series of rules concerning
the diets of ecclesiastics in the See of Tarragona in relation to the
litergic calendar. It is heavy on proteins and carbohydrates, i.e. high
in calories for the seditary ecclesiastic population, from which the
phrase "to be fat like a canon" is derived.   By the way it seems to be
complied by Guillem Cergue butler of Pabor Guerau of Rocabrti. I have no
idea who they were.
     Another MS I completely ignored, by mistake, is Friar Francesc
Eiximenis' "Com usar de beure i menjar" from 1384. He elaborates on the
sin of gluttony and mentions culinary customs in Catalonia.  Also I am
missing Jaime Roig's el Llibre de la dones, mes verament dit des
consells, who was the physician of Alfonso V and Juan II of Aragon (Juan
was Ferdinand's father). Again Aragon is not my major.
Suey