[Sca-cooks] Auntie Arwen and medieval spice mixes

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 13 10:18:21 PDT 2010

On 6/13/10 9:20 AM, Ursula Georges wrote:
> On 6/12/2010 12:05 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>
>> It's often hard to know where to start when you step into such founts
>> of plenty. I did that with the Pepperer's Guild and I still have
>> things like Frankincense and Star Anize I've not found a use for. Not
>> much saffron left, though. :-(
>
> I don't know whether it's remotely medieval, but what I generally do
> with star anise is make tea eggs.
>
> Ursula Georges.

Ursula:  sounds yummy, and if it gives decent colour then it probably
did get used for that back in the olden times.

Star Anise is a standard ingredient in the famous "Chinese Five Spice"
blend.

Frankincense is not always useful for those outside the church...it's
nice for meditation and maybe you could cast bits over the glowing coals
after a camp fire has died down, for a little "atmosphere."

Cheers,
Selene