[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian recipe

Ursula Georges ursula at tutelaries.net
Mon Jun 14 22:44:28 PDT 2010

On 6/14/2010 12:12 PM, Drucilla Meany-Herbert wrote:
> I will be making meat pies for a household dinner, does anyone have
> recipes for vegetarian or vegan pies that they like? Tasty and simple
> without costly or unusual ingredients? The pies will be small and
> crescent shaped. Period authentic is not a must.

Check out my Andalusian feta pies redaction here:

http://ursula.dreamwidth.org/130295.html

You might want to up the quantity of filling, or add a milder cheese
like ricotta or farmer's cheese to bulk the pies up, if you're using a
more substantial crust.

The Lebanese Spinach Triangle recipe which I stole the dough proportions
from also looks good, albeit modern, and would be vegan if you used an
olive-oil based crust:

http://www.pilotguides.com/tv_shows/planet_food/food_guides/lebanon/spinach_triangles.php

I have taught a "medieval food for vegetarians" class in the past; the
handout is available upon request.

Ursula Georges.