[Sca-cooks] Non-SCA food passions? inspiration

Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 14:34:14 PDT 2010

My motivation lately has been giving myself something to focus on to fight pre-natal fatigue. By the time I get home from a long commute I'm not terribly inspired to just cook dinner so I made it a fun project by challenging myself to tackle an entire cooking manuscript and redact all the recipes.

There are 135 recipes in this source, and I've been trying to work on them in order, but that has proven to be somewhat challenging either due to logistics or difficulty in obtaining ingredients (Wild Boar being the current hold up).

I've also jumped ahead and been working on a largess project for Pennsic. It's a set of three spice mixes from this same manuscript, each in a 1 tbsp glass bottle sealed with a cork, handmade label and sealing wax, and a booklet with the recipes for the spice mixes as well as recipes from the same source for ideas on how to use them.

Here's the blog where I've been tracking my progress and documenting each recipe. http://allvenicechannel.dreamwidth.org/  This project has helped me get better at writing things down, which had been one of my long-time hurdles in recreating historical recipes. It's been lots of fun, even when my beloved won't try it because it's got fish in it. ;)

In joyous service,
Raffaella