[Sca-cooks] Non-SCA food passions?

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Tue Jun 15 15:23:54 PDT 2010

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:14:35 -0500
  Michael Gunter <dookgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have to admit that I haven't been too involved with
>pure historical food lately.

and i am consumed. LOL

but other that the roman thing, and the siege cooking
thing, most food is mundane.

tried watching cooking channel, but only really like it
for the classic iron chef.  the rest has not grabbed me
yet.

it is my fourth year as keeper of the bar-B-Q, and i
continue to push my skills in grilling and BBQing.  i
tried grilling an artichoke sunday, but it doesn't thrill
me.  of course, that could be the after 2 hours of boiling
mondo giganto, it was still fibrous, so even a quick kiss
on the grill didn't do much.

i have been batting my eyes at dear heart for a new grill
(damn you, planned obsolescence!!!!) but that is a way
down the road.

i continue to play with traditional irish food, and keep
my eyes peeled for those 40s and 50s cookbooks with the
obscene pix of huge slabs of meat rimmed with an inch of
fat and mashed potatoes with half a stick of butter
melting in them.  i don't know if the attraction is the
food porn or the classic, simple dishes of a bygone era
when cream soups were appreciated more than a nice cream
sauce. ;)

cailte
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator, Student Admissions
University of New Mexico