[Sca-cooks] Teaching Cooking 101

chawkswrth at aol.com chawkswrth at aol.com
Thu Jun 17 09:50:13 PDT 2010

First, congrats on being asked! That is no small thing for a child to do-they want to learn and heck, he was only asking to be taught by the best! <grin>

Your idea is excellent. I am a big proponent of every child learning how to cook, even the most basic rudiments, starting by age 6-7. Yes, they can help in the kitchen before that, but that is when they can start learning to truly feed themselves.
Sadly, I run across teens and young adults who have problems thinking beyond sticking a box in a microwave-and we won't even go into what med students and residents consider food. (if it doesn't move....)

I am highly interested in something like this, as well. I have spent some time with Children, and with Teens. I can tell you that with the right approach, you could have a winner of a class. If you need any help, any suggestions, or just want to talk the class out, feel free to contact me.

While I now work outside of the field, I have trained as a Home Ec. Teacher. <grin> Any help I can give, is yours!

Helen
(Meridies)