[Sca-cooks] Fire Regs and Period Kitchens

Glenn Gorsuch ggorsuch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 09:51:18 PDT 2010

> It just occurred to me- have you checked teh fire/building regs, etc? I
> think you'd fall under the same sort of code as for a permanent BBQ
> setup, but you might want to double check. I'd hate to see you haul all
> of that stuff up and then get a visit from the Fire Marshall...
>
> Liutgard
>
> It's definitely something to think about.

But unlike Juana, I live in a nicely rural sort of neighborhood.  And at
high enough elevation that snow is an occasional nuisance (although where we
specifically are only gets snow once a year, usually for less than 24
hours).  Every house in the neighborhood has a fireplace, and as far as I
can smell, we all have BBQs, too.  Fire GOOD!  And if I have to smell them
cooking burgers, they can smell my pottages and oatcakes.  Not a fair trade,
but I can be generous.

And I'm also an Old Somewhat-Used Constable from the West.  We're the most
fire-paranoid bunch in existence, I swear (grin).  Period or not, this
hypothetical kitchen will have an ABC fire extinguisher, a bucket of water,
AND a bucket of sand handy...

Oh, now you've gone and done it.  With this concern, I just had a vision of
building a sort of small well-enclosure thing that I can connect the garden
hose to...lots of period castle kitchens had them, apparently...

Gwyn, who REALLY needs to stop daydreaming about this and get back to
mundane work.