[Sca-cooks] Paging Countess Brekke... was, Re: homemade bitter almond extract

Carol Smith eskesmith at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 18 09:45:02 PDT 2010

Dear All:

As I recall, "Almond Extract" is made from apricot kernels, not the whole pit.  DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!  The "Natural Almond Oil" we purchased was "FFPA", translated as "free
from Prussic Acid", otherwise called hydrogen cyanide, which occurs naturally in
almonds, apricots, cherries, etc.  It is cleared for use under 21CFR182.20,and 21CFR182.40, which is "generally recognized as safe", or GRAS.

The flavoring is primarily benzaldehyde.  You can buy almond oil, apricot oil, etc. for cooking, but the flavor level is minimal in the culinary oils and it's expensive to use.  You can't buy the flavor oils for home use, so far as I know, since benzaldehyde is a restricted item since it's a precursor for several illegal drugs.

If you know of a safe way to make the extract using distilled spirits and the apricot kernels, I'd appreciate a post of the procedure.  It's nothing I would be willing to try without a lot of further information.

Regards,
Brekke