[Sca-cooks] elderberries

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 21 00:32:37 PDT 2010

Katherine gave her translation of an elderberry recipe.

<<< Das. xlvi. Capitel.
Holdermu? zumachen / nim holderpl?t vnd brock sie in ein sieden-
de gutte milch / ein gut teyl / la? sieden / treyb es durch ein tuch / mach
einen herten teyg von ayern / vnd welg darau? d?nne bletter / schneyd
den teyg klein in w?rmleins wey? / thu in inn die siedende milch / das
sie ymmerts sied / vnnd r?r das gar wol / das es sich vermische / saltzes es
vnd machs ab mit milch schmaltz.

The. XLVI. Chapter.

Elderberry mush to make / take elderbloom and crumble it in a simmering
good milk / a good portion / let it simmer / force it through a cloth / make
a hard [stiff] dough from eggs / and roll there out thin sheets / cut
the dough small in wormlike fashion / do [put] it in the simmering milk /
that it continues to simmer / and stir it quite well /[so]that it is mixed
[together] / salt it and make it up with milk fat.

The German without the diacritical marks:

Das. xlvi. Capitel.
Holdermuss zumachen / nim holderpluet vnd brock sie in ein sieden-
de gutte milch / ein gut teyl / lass sieden / treyb es durch ein tuch / mach
einen herten teyg von ayern / vnd welg darauss duenne bletter / schneyd
den teyg klein in wuermleins weyss / thu in inn die siedende milch / das
sie ymmerts sied / vnnd ruer das gar wol / das es sich vermische / saltzes es
vnd machs ab mit milch schmaltz. >>>

Thank you for doing this! Also thank you for posting the original with diacritical marks and without. I would love it if other folks would consider doing this. As you can see, the digester for this list turns them into "?" question marks. While I can still handle these special characters if I'm sent the file in Word format, although some still get lost because of Word's incomplete translation to HTML code, some get on through. But once the digester gets through I can't change things back and having the plain text is often better than the question marks. But having both sets of text lets you know which "regular" characters are supposed to have diacritical marks.

Now, is "elderbloom" the elderberry flower? That may be even harder to locate than elderberries!

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com