[Sca-cooks] More on sapa/saba

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jun 24 05:55:20 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----

OK, so then the next thing to get sorted out is what is meant by "must."  I
was under the impression that modern wineries interpreted this to mean
what's left over after the juice is squeezed from the grape.  But I'm now
seeing that it is, rather, juice that has not been fermented...in other
words, it's been squeezed from the fruit, with all seeds, skins, pulp
removed.  Is that correct?  If so, then should I be able to take some
grapes, squeeze them, strain them then boil down the resulting juice to 1/3
of its original volume and produce sapa?

Kiri

Must is either the juice that has been pressed out of the fruit and is being
prepared for fermentation or is wine either in the early stages of
fermentation or not yet completely fermented (in both Latin and English, it
may have a different meaning in the argot of vintners).

Defrutum is also made from figs and quinces, which suggests to me that
defrutum may be made from the fresh juice.  Sapa appears to be made only
from grapes, which suggests to me that it may be made from new wine, which
is why I think it may not be as sweet as defrutum (to answer Stefan's
question).

That being said, I have not seen a definitive answer as to the meaning of
must in the context of sapa, so the interpretation of boiling down grape
juice to 1/3 of the original volume is a perfectly valid way to produce your
own sapa.

Bear