[Sca-cooks] article on Fruit and Vegetable Subtleties & Carving

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 09:38:40 PDT 2010

Johnna Holloway provided a wedsite mentioned that fruit and veggies are
carved to create subtleties. At one point I was invited to a lady's home
who had a movie theater and was able to get US movies before the
premiers.  One time the before movie snack consisted of her long dining
room table filled with the cook's creations of roses and other flowers
and perhaps animals (I can´t remember) carved out of veggies and fruit.
In buffet style we plucked off the petals. At that point they were
advertising some kind of plastic instrument on TV that was suppose to do
that. I brought one and no way. All my radishes turned in to chopped
radishes :'( and not the pretty flowers as advertised. So when I saw
that dining room table covered with so many gorgeous and artist flowers
etc I was in awe. It is a super idea but I don't know how she did it! I
guess it is like ice carvings. Cooks can produce ice carvings that are
better then some sculptors. The only successful ice figures I have made
are in ice trays in the form of some little figure. . .
Suey