[Sca-cooks] Creamy recipes from Rontzier

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 26 21:11:05 PDT 2010

Katherine replied to my quesitons about her posting about a cream cheese recipe with:
<<< I think it is a good dessert file, but I thought it tied in nicely with
the questions about how period was cream cheese (and cheesecake) and the
answers.  I don't recall seeing a period recipe on how to make cheese from
cream, but there was a comment from someone about how they made fresh
cheese from cream and that it was quite different from the modern version. >>>

Okay, before he gets involved in making something else with the cream cheese, he does describe how to make it so I'm going to add that part of your message to this file as well as the dessert-msg file.

fresh-cheeses-msg (61K) 3/26/10 Fresh cheeses such as cream cheese and cottage cheese. Non-aged cheeses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/fresh-cheeses-msg.html

Yes, real cream cheese is different from modern ie: Philadelphia Cream Cheese. We've had some discussion of this and I think it is in this file.

For some info on cheesecake from the Classical Roman period forward, take a look at this file:
cheesecake-msg (52K) 1/12/08 Medieval cheesecake. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/cheesecake-msg.html

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com