[Sca-cooks] Making verjus

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 08:34:13 PDT 2010

Selene,
I use pomegranates at the end of February...so what I did this past year was
to buy them when they were in season, seed them and freeze the seeds in
airtight bags (used my sealing machine).  Worked like a charm!

Kiri

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Yes but this is closer to nine months.  I guess it is worth trying.
>
> Just sad I can not possibly get fresh pomegranates in March.
>
> Selene
>
> Susan Lin wrote:
>
>> Why wouldn't it keep in the freezer until your event?  Are you freezing
>> the
>> grapes themselves or the juice?  I would think it would do fine - if
>> already
>> in juice form I'd contemplate some loss due to evaporation.  But, if you
>> have a deep freeze that does not self defrost (so no cycling, less chance
>> of
>> freezer burn) I would think it would do just fine.  I had lemon juice in
>> ours for about 6 months and it was fine.
>>
>> Shoshana
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>

>>> So the feral table grapes are all over my parents' backyard again and the
>>> bunches of grapes are forming.  Not very big and juicy since nobody
>>> actually
>>> waters them on purpose, but the fruit is on the vine, about the size and
>>> colour of petits pois. so I grabbed about five bunches, picked them off
>>> the
>>> stems and ran them through the blender with a dash of water.  Now
>>> draining
>>> through a nylon coffee filter.  What a nice flavor, very grapey but sour
>>> as
>>> lemon juice.  I will use this for salads!  And freeze a bunch for the
>>> rest
>>> of the year's cookery.
>>>
>>> I have a Persian feast coming up next March, I don't suppose it will keep
>>> in the freezer until then?  The problem with Black Oak Lodge is that it's
>>> so
>>> early in the year, before the fruit harvests.  Alas.
>>>
>>> Dame Selene

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince