[Sca-cooks] cow butter?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jun 3 15:00:18 PDT 2010

> Butter is made from cream rather than milk and is a
> condensed, emulsified fat.

Since goat milk is, as I understand it, naturally homogenized and does not
separate into cream, does that mean it is harder or not possible to make
goat milk butter?

Juana Isabella

It is my understanding that goat milk has smaller fat globules than cow's
milk and doesn't seperate as easily, but it will seperate naturally given
time (up to three or four days), producing goat cream.  The seperated cream
can then be used to make goat butter.  A mechanical seperator is usually
used to speed the process.  Goat's milk has a higher fat content than cow's
milk, so it should produce a very nice, but time consuming butter.

Goat butter has been produced since Antiquity, so there should be a
description of the process before mechanical seperators.

Bear