[Sca-cooks] Period Cheese

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 03:10:50 PDT 2010

She has also recently started keeping goats.  She has two nannies and plans
to make all sorts of goat products including both butter and cheese.  Can't
wait!!

Kiri

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Donna Green <donnaegreen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have two recommendations for you for period cheese info ... one is talk
> to Mistress Eibhlinn in Atlantia. She is my former apprentice. She was
> Laureled for period cheesemaking.
>
> Also, check out
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Ital-cheese-art.rtf
> I've used the second recipe there several times to make very tasty aged
> cheese.
>
> Juana Isabella
>
> > Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 22:16:37 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Linda Larson <linda_a_larson at yahoo.com>
> > To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
> > Subject: [Sca-cooks] Goat Cheese
> >
> > I own dairy goats, and have made cheese for the past few
> > years.? So far, I have used purchased cultures, but I'd like
> > to try using my raw milk and wild cultures.? Any advice??
> > Also, where could I find documentaton for period
> > cheesemaking?? The sources I've found, like Gervase Markham
> > are just beyond the SCA time frame.? Anything earlier that
> > would help?
> >
> > I have one lactating ewe, and plan to try milking her.?
> > I'll let you all know how it goes!?
> >
> > Lidia Allen

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince