[Sca-cooks] A form of CURRY, was Re: Real Cubebs?

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 09:36:36 PDT 2010

 This is my favorite of the curry and garam masala blends she sells...I make
a killer chicken salad with it, diced apricots, pistachios, mayo and a
little sour cream!

Kiri

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Two Knives Blend is a curry powder with no chili at all, formulated
> originally for Master El of the Two Knives, who was allergic to capsicum
> peppers.  It's also a pretty good, flavorful blend on its own merits and to
> me, represents a clue what Indian food was like before 1500 and Everything
> Changed.
> Cheers to Auntie Arwen for her thoughtfulness and good marketing strategy,
> making products FOR people!
>
> Tangential sob story:  my bf spend a month in Hyderabad on business a
> couple years ago, and darn near starved because he is a "weak sister" like
> me, likes to taste the actual food instead of heat.  Apparently Hyderabad is
> known for the hottest food in India and he had to adapt or starve.  Even
> plain scrambled eggs came doused in pepper sauce.
>
> Selene
>
> Saint Phlip wrote:
>
>> Pick them up from Auntie Arwen. She4 sells at Pennsic, and has pretty
>> well picked up where the Pepperer's Guild left a hole in our spices.
>> She has great stuff- for those of you weak sisters, who'd like to try
>> a curry powder with incredible flavor, and no heat, you ought to try
>> her Two Knives blend ;-) But I digress-
>>
>> Her website is a mess at the moment- her friend and webmaster passed
>> away recently, but I did find the cubebs. Yes, they're cubebs- I
>> bought a little stash last Pennsic.
>>
>> http://www.auntiearwenspices.com/detail.php?prod_id=544
>>
>> Better order quickly, because it's getting on towards Pennsic, and
>> things get packed up ahead of time.
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:46 PM,  <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>

>>> I love cubebs. I first bought them in a spice shop in the mid 1970s just
>>> because i had no idea what they were. Yeah, i do that, buy mysterious
>>> ingredients, then find out what they are.
>>>
>>> Cubebs look like black peppercorns but a bit larger and with a fine stem
>>> (tail). They have a peppery scent with a hint of citrus and resin. In my
>>> experience they are not as hot as regular peppers, but are more aromatic
>>> (plus i don't have the reaction to them i have to pepper skins.... which
>>> is
>>> why i tend to use white pepper).
>>> For more info:
>>> http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Pipe_cub.html<http://www.uni-graz.at/%7Ekatzer/engl/Pipe_cub.html>
>>>
>>> I buy a lot of spices at Lhasa Karnak, in Berkeley, which is generally
>>> reliable. But a few years ago there was a problem with cubebs (i forget
>>> which, a disease or insect infestation). Since then LK has been selling
>>> as
>>> cubebs something that definitely is not cubeb. They are tinier than
>>> cubebs,
>>> have no tail, and pretty much no flavor. The wrinkled black skin slips
>>> off
>>> easily revealing a red-brown smoothing skinned sphere.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know where to get REAL cubebs?
>>> (not a random link on the internet that i could find myself, or ''i think
> [...]

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince