[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian recipe

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 14 21:12:14 PDT 2010

Myrrim commented:
<<< I wasn't the originator of this question, but can I put my hand up and say 'me too!"  It is always a bit of a problem trying to find a period alternative for vegetarians.>>>

Perhaps this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium might be of interest:
vegetarian-msg (78K) 4/ 2/08 Medieval vegetarianism. Lenten foods.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/vegetarian-msg.html

And there is the second half of this pair in the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section:
Guisados1-art (220K) 5/28/01 A translation of Ruperto de Nola's 1529 "Libre del Coch", part 1 of 2 by Mistress Brighid ni Chiarain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.html
Guisados2-art (116K) 5/28/01 "Libre del Coch". part 2 of 2. Lenten recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados2-art.html

And I just recently added this file in the FOOD section:
MF-vegetarian-art (20K) 5/30/10 "Medieval Food for Vegetarians" by Lady Katherine Rowberd.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/MF-vegetarian-art.html

I'm sure there are other vegan and vegetarian compatible recipes in the Florilegium, but they aren't always grouped or called out that way.

I hope this helps.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com