[Sca-cooks] Non-SCA food passions?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Jun 15 14:43:22 PDT 2010

On 6/15/2010 2:14 PM, Michael Gunter wrote:
> So, what is your current foodie passion? SCA or otherwise?
>
> Gunthar

Hmm. Well, SCA-wise, I'm working on conjectural stuff in Carolingian
France/Germany. Did a small (11 people) feast at Egils, Saturday night,
and it went over well (except the dessert, which kinda didn't work
because it was windy and I was having oven issues). It was tasty and
nearly all of it went away. :-) I've been working on a series of
capitularies from Charles' reign (that is to say, Charlemagne) that list
what is grown on the estates and the livestock they had, and Giano sent
me some stuff that was VERY useful. (Keep your eyes out for a
forthcoming CA from him!) It was also very useful to have a couple of My
Girls who are grown and foodies on their own, who could help in the
kitchen with minimal direction.

Non-SCA-wise, I've adopted Michael Pollan's seven word diet- 'Eat food.
Not too much, mostly plants.' Food, of course being something your
great-grandmother would recognize as food- unprocessed stuff. In three
months I've dropped 15 pounds. The produce is kinda expensive (even
eating seasonally) but I'm not spending money on processed stuff, which
is per serving more expensive, so it's actually balancing out. And
plants are tasty, properly cooked!

And in other news, sometime next week I'll be a mother-in-law, and
sometime in February I'll be a grandmother! I'm still getting used to
the idea...

Liutgard
(who of late was Lainie :-)

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore