[Sca-cooks] Non-SCA food passions?

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 09:05:28 PDT 2010

Yes do check your codes.  Here our fire marshall (Bill - yes that's his
name) told me, when I asked if I could build a fire pit, that no I could not
because I could not burn fossil fuels.    When I mentioned that it would be
a wood burning pit he repeated his objection.

If you're scratching your head - join the club.  he also told me I could be
a full bbq pit and run natural gas to it (again, scratch your head).  BUT,
he wanted us to build a chimney that was as tall as the house.  He told me I
could not have a chiminea either.

What it boiled down to was 1.  He doesn't know what the heck he's talking
about, 2.  There is no law/reg against a fire pit, 3. the concern is that
smoke might blow into a house nearby annoying a neighbor, 4.  He doesn't
know what the heck he's talking about.

If they can't site an actual regulation/law I'd just ignore them and do what
you want.  I didn't identify myself when I called and I asked all sorts of
hypothetical questions.  That way he didn't know whose house to drive by.

Good luck.