[Sca-cooks] elderberries

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Jun 17 14:58:15 PDT 2010

I meant a period or modern use. ;-)

I haven't found many period recipes for the berries so much, perhaps
because they are toxic and bitter unless they're cooked. You can make
jam/jelly/preserves with them as well as wine, as mentioned we (or,
rather, my grandfather) made syrup, and there are period recipes for using
the berries to make a blue color on leather.

Margaret FitzWilliam