[Sca-cooks] cheese bread

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Thu Jun 17 15:14:23 PDT 2010

> The modern Dutch translation uses the word "koekjes" which, depending on
> which dictionary you use, can mean "small cake", "cookie", "biscuit",
> "bannock", or "cupcake", so it at least implies baking rather than
> frying. The plan is to experiment and see what I come up with.
>
> Margaret

Well, I see no stream of consciousness there :)

The old Dutch seems to be coukelkins.  I know that kins is the diminutive
form like we use 'lets' in English or chen in German.  So cakelets?
Little cakes? I was under the impression that versions of the word for
cake in Dutch were also used for fritters - oliekoeken.  I don't know
enough about Dutch to be sure about anything, but I wonder what the word
for pancake is?  It may be similar to the German pfannkuchen? Is the word
for cake usually modified when a method other than baking is used in
Dutch?

In another line of thought, related to how the German word for gebachens
can mean either baked or fried (which can be a contextual puzzle
sometimes), I started to think that perhaps a 15th century cook didn't
perceive that there was a definitive method to make the item.  For
example, if the oven wasn't heated that day, and the cook had some
leftover fat drippings, the choice would be to fry it instead of bake it.
So in theory the driving force in the process where there may be more than
one way to prepare the food was more dependent on the type of facility and
ingredients that were available for the preparation.  On the other hand,
it could be a function of any cook should *Know* this stuff - as in Anna
Wecker's defining different types of batter thickness by comparison to a
funnel cake batter as a reference.

I don't think I have anything more that may be in the least useful to add :)

Katheirne