[Sca-cooks] elderberries

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jun 17 16:44:07 PDT 2010

149. To make Syrup of Elder.
Take ElderBerries when they are red, bruise them in a Stone Mortar,
strain the Juice, and boyl it away to almost half, scum it very clean,
take it off the fire whilst it is hot; put in Sugar to the thickness
of a Syrup, put it no more on the fire, when it is cold, put it into
Glasses, not filling them to the top, for it will work like Beer.

The Accomplish'd lady's delight in preserving... 1675

I checked EEBO-TCP and there are not that many recipes. One book gives
a recipe for a Cherry tart and then says 'use other berries'.

There's a wine recipe in Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery.

Johnnae