[Sca-cooks] Saba

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 19 17:49:55 PDT 2010

On Jun 19, 2010, at 8:00 PM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> I have never heard of Saba.  I have heard of Sabra.  The cheapest place online called "WineChateau" has Sabra for $27.69 before shipping.  I have never used the place, so I don't know how reliable it is.  BevMo has Sabra, but for almost the same price that you quote.
>
> Sorry.
>
> Huette

Sabra is a brand (I think Israeli?); if you go to the WineChateau site you'll see chocolate and coffee liqueurs.

Saba is the same thing as Sapa, which is a modern (probably very old) descendant of Roman wine reductions and/or wine made from semi-dried, grape concentrate, like defrutum, etc.

Basically a thick. sweet, grape syrup...

Adamantius (who still has an old bottle of Sapa from Sahadi's in Brooklyn)

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter