[Sca-cooks] Saba

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Sun Jun 20 09:48:18 PDT 2010

The "p" has transmuted to a "b" in Italian.
I have no idea when or how.

In Riley's "The Oxford Companion to Italian Food" the entry is under Saba.
It reads -
SABA, SAPA (grape must). See MUSTO COTTO, MUST.
There is no entry under Sapa.

Florio also uses the word Saba.
It reads -
Saba, new wyne sodden, which we call cute, which they use to season meates
with.
He also has an entry for Sapa.
It reads -
Sapa, a kinde of sodden wine or cute, used also for a kinde of sauce.
(interestingly the next entry is "Sapadore, a sillibube made of wine and
milke." Anyone have an extant Italian recipe for this?)

Eduardo

Saba on Saba would be interesting! Unfortunately I have seen no recipes in
the corpus for using saba with fish. I suspect that the humors are all
wrong. At least the medical ones!