[Sca-cooks] Non-dairy white sauce

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 19:03:18 PDT 2010

Respected friends:
--- On Sat, 6/19/10, Claire Clarke <angharad at adam.com.au> wrote:

> From: Honour Horne-Jaruk <jarukcomp at yahoo.com>

> Otherwise, it's figuring out how to make a halfway
> tolerable dairy-free
> white sauce.

> What's the problem with the white sauce - replacing the
> butter, or replacing
> the milk? I would have thought there were fairly simple and
> not too vile
> substitutions for both?
>
> Angharad
The problem is that I must replace _both_ -- actually, all three, since I also can't have the wheat flour my family always used for the starch component. In addition, I can't have artificially flavored or colored anything.
If it were just the butter, I could use organic margarine; the flavor would be worse, but tolerable. If it were just the milk, some soymilks are not actively appalling. If it were just the wheat, somebody somewhere has probably figured out a non-gluten substitute. All three? So far, the front runner is library paste.

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

FORTE EST VINUM, FORTIOR EST REX, FORTIORES SUNT MULIERES: SUPER OMNIA VINCIT VERITAS