[Sca-cooks] whey uses

yaini0625 at yahoo.com yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 00:14:30 PDT 2010

Another use for whey in Icelandic cooking is skyr. There was a recent Creative Anachronist that had recipes for skyr. I also have a recipe that I got in Iceland and recently translated it. Now, I have heard that the recipe for skyr had disappeared in mainland Scandinavia and only survived in Iceland. Skyr is like my survival food.
In past centuries, whey was mixed with water and was an everyday drink. Very much like the modern day whey power drinks you can get in powder form GNC.
In Iceland, (th)orblot festivals serve foods in two ways. Sour or non-sour. The sour food is pickled in extra strong skyrmysa (whey) for several weeks. The "sour" foods are Hrutspungar (sheep testicles),Hvalsplk (whale blubber),Lundabaggar (pickled secondary meats),Bringukollar (breast meat), Selshrelfar (very rare-seal's flipper) and Hvalliki (fake whale blubber). There is also slatur (liver sausage)
Mysa is whey that was drunk.
I also have a recipe for whey soup.
As I understand, whey is the fat protein that floats to the top during cheese making. "Curds and whey"- It is high in protein and calories.
Aelina the Saami

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T