[Sca-cooks] More on sapa/saba

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 23 22:18:29 PDT 2010

Bear answered my questions about sapa with:
<<<
To quote Flower and Rosenbaum...
"Now about the preparation of 'defrutum,' 'caroenum,' and 'sapa.'  Although
all three are made from the same substance, namely from must, the nethod of
their preparation modifies both their names and their properties.  For
'defrutum' has its name from "boiling down," and it is ready when it it is
reduced to a thick consistency.  'Caroenum' is ready when it is reduced to
one-third of its volume with two-thirds remaning, 'sapa,' when it has been
reduced to one-third.  The latter is improved when quinces are cooked with
it and fig wood is added to the fire." >>>

And later he concluded:
<<< Sapa is primarily an ingredient for sauces although ISTR one recipe where it
is used as a condiment.  Apicius tends to use defrutum, which is definitely
lighter (and I suspect sweeter) rather than sapa. >>>

Okay, maybe I have this straight. It sounds like sapa is the one that is reduced more, to 1/3 of its original volume.
So wouldn't the thicker one be sweeter since it contains more concentrated sugar, so it sounds like sapa should be sweeter than the lighter defrutum.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com