[Sca-cooks] whey uses

Laurel Ritscher munineye at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 20:33:04 PDT 2010

Hi all, here to chime in with my Eastern European researchy skills.

I recently found a few recipes (no way of knowing whether it's period, but it's certainly possible) for several Lithuanian breads that use whey.
I say no way of knowing whether they're period because while they don't use New World ingredients (okay, I don't actually know about the yeast, I'm still new at this), there isn't any documentation saying they're period. Anyway, the link is here: http://ausis.gf.vu.lt/eka/food/bread.html and these are traditional Samogitian foods (from my chosen SCA region). I've made two of the recipes from that list (the "Bread With Yeast" and "Barley Rolls") which terrible and middling success respectively. Not sure if I'm just not treating the flour properly or what, but I'd like to iron out the kinks before I bring them to any event.

Anyway, cheers!

Laurai Zemaijite / Laurel Ritscher