[Sca-cooks] Pennsic queries....

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Jun 29 12:07:05 PDT 2010

>Another possibility is to use dry ice. As long as your cooler is not
>stored in someone's tent, this should work well. Also, a very large
>cooler might not be the best way to go. Opening coolers up repeatedly
>over the course of the day will cause their contents to heat up
>significantly faster than if left closed. Segregating each day's food
>into different coolers helps to mitigate this.
>
>Guillaume
>
>>  Also, we're trying to figure out a way to keep our food chilled
>>without going through so much ice. ?I understand that there are
>>companies up there

Sir Nathan (Calontir) used to provide period food for his royalty and
others by cooking stuff in advance, putting it in seal-a-meal bags,
bringing it in coolers, and dumping the bags into boiling water-not
as authentic a procedure as cooking on site, but a lot less work if
one person is doing it for many.

According to him, quality varies a lot in coolers. So part of your
solution may be to buy a higher quality cooler. What that would be I
have no idea--we don't use a cooler at Pennsic.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com