[Sca-cooks] seals and pike fish

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 3 11:15:11 PDT 2010

I said:

 <<< Guillaume posted two recipes from "Nuevo Arte de Cocina" which might be
for fur seals, although I'm not sure that the directions for cooking a fur
seal and a pike fish would be combined. The two animals seem so different.>>>

To which Bear replied:
<<< As I recall, dietary rules made some very odd determinations as to what were
"fish."  Taxonomic distinctions that are normal for you and I are largely a
product of the 18th Century. >>>

Yes, but this was a cookbook, not a catalog of animals or whatever such would be called. Cookbooks don't appear to organized by taxonomy but by tastes, textures and the resulting dishes. It makes me think that the text may not be talking about seals.

Beavers or at least beaver tail, often got classified as "fish" for fast days, right? But I doubt that beaver tail tastes like or has the texture of fish. But I've not had any. Of course if someone has some they like me to try...

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com