[Sca-cooks] OT:SCA group names

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 3 18:24:53 PDT 2010

Gwyn quipped:
<<< Actually, out here in the West Kingdom we'd most likely encounter Manteca
as being the mundane name of part of the Barony of Fettburg.  (grin) >>>

I've not heard of this Barony.

I'm always looking for the history behind and the reasons for where various SCA group names came from. I don't find anything about "Fettburg" in the Florilegium. So if you can find out the history behind the name and its heraldry, I'd love to get a message I can add to these files in the SCA-STORIES section of the Florilegium:
placenames-msg (110K) 10/ 4/00 Origins and meanings of SCA placenames.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/placenames-msg.html
placenames2-msg (96K) 10/25/09 More origins and meanings of SCA placenames.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/placenames2-msg.html

There's also some group names in this file which might not be in the two above ones.
Branch-Names-art (16K) 2/ 9/10 "How branches in the Known World were named" by Lord Domhnall na Moicheirghe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/Branch-Names-art.html

Actually, I encourage anyone to look up group names they might know the history of and email me if I don't have anything. If you've been itching to get your name into the Florilegium, here's a way to get it there! :-)

Stefan
(Please feel free to forward this to any friends or groups who might be interested)
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com