[Sca-cooks] Non-dairy white sauce

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Sat Jun 19 04:07:57 PDT 2010

Message: 7
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:28:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Honour Horne-Jaruk <jarukcomp at yahoo.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Non-SCA food passions?

Otherwise, it's figuring out how to make a halfway tolerable dairy-free
white sauce. So far, I've got one that tastes food-like when mixed
half-and-half with mayonnaise: but then, I suspect Louisiana gulf water
might taste food-like under the same conditions...

I think that depends quite substantially on the mayonnaise.
What's the problem with the white sauce - replacing the butter, or replacing
the milk? I would have thought there were fairly simple and not too vile
substitutions for both?

Angharad