[Sca-cooks] Another question on peas

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Mar 4 14:52:51 PST 2010

A cookbook I've been seeking for a long time.  If you have a complete copy,
perhaps you could solve a problem I have when you have time.

About 20 years ago, I obtained a copy of Esther B. Aresty's The Delectable
Past.  Aresty commnets that Wecker's work contains a recipe that "bore a
close resembelance to Rösti".  She then procedes to provide a modern recipe
for Rösti.  Rösti is a dish using Solanum tuberosum, the white or Irish
potato, which, at the time Wecker was published, was just entering Northern
Europe as botanical specimens.  If Wecker has a recipe for potatoes
(Kartoffel, Taratouphli, Erdapfel, etc.) then it suggests that potatoes may
have been more widespread than the records suggest.  If you come across such
a recipe, please post it to the list, I and some others would certainly be
interested in seeing it.

Many thanks.

Bear