[Sca-cooks] Horseflesh in Early Period NW Europe?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon Mar 15 12:50:21 PDT 2010

Salvete

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now, but I guess someone here might have done so already and found some source I'm not aware of. Do we have any evidence for horse beraingeaten in Early period Northwestern or northern europe? I know that afew bones from Hedeby show signs of slaughter, and there are horse sacrifices that deposit only the head and feet (the rest presumably consumed), but these are rare outside Slavic areas after the Iron Age. Most horse burials dpon't seem to show any such evidence.

Has anyone looked at the sagas or Anglo-Saxon literature from thatz point of view? Or know of a good study of scandinavian graves theway the RBO did the continental ones?

Any help appreciated

Giano