[Sca-cooks] Horseflesh in Early Period NW Europe?

Laureen Hart lhart at graycomputer.com
Mon Mar 15 15:17:41 PDT 2010

Hippophagy - I never knew there was a specific term for it.
Is there one for eating dog? Canophagy? (no Latin here).
Both are pretty emotionally charged topics.
Other animals were used/eaten sacrificially, I wonder what caused the church
to ban horse specifically? Logistically it is probably more cost effective
to raise other animals to eat so maybe it was a "safe" thing to ban? Was
there dispensation to eat them if you were starving, or in a siege or
something?

They used to carry Horsemeat at the Seattle Pike Place Market. It really
freaked some people out. I understand some of the issues with where the meat
was supposedly coming from (wild mustangs), but some people were outraged at
the concept of it in any form.

I have always figured something raised to eat or wear isn't any different
from eating or wearing a cow. I have learned to be generally cautious
discussing it. I even have to keep my mouth shut when people start talking
about "Dolphin safe Tuna" Guys...what about the Tunas, who is keeping them
safe?

That said, I would have to be reaaaaallly hungry to eat cat.
Randell Raye.