[Sca-cooks] Irish cookbooks- was Soda Bread

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Mar 19 07:34:43 PDT 2010

Talking about Irish cookbooks, there are two new ones to mention:

The Country Cooking of Ireland by Colman Andrews.
Big beautiful expensive, great bibliography, photos,  250 recipes
He's  a co-founder of Saveur magazine and  is the co-author of three
Saveur cookbooks.

Just out this week is
Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Time-Honored Ways are the Best - Over
700 Recipes Show You Why by Darina Allen. This book features the
skills of an agricultural past when people raised their own hens and
gathered berries in the woods. 600 pages covering lots of skills and
aspects of food and cookery. These are traditional recipes and skills,
but not medieval skills, so don't think that it's a one stop
encyclopedia for how to do it in a medieval fashion. (Too often people
still equate traditional with being old enough to be medieval. This is
country cooking from Ireland's past.)

My apologies if this goes thru twice. I tried earlier and after two
hours it still hadn't appeared, so this is another attempt.

Johnna