[Sca-cooks] European Measurement Conversion

H Westerlund-Davis yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 23:58:48 PDT 2010

Margaret and Johnnae~ Thank you for your insight and help. Yes, goat cheese flavored with juniper berries does sound better then a full cup of actual juniper berries. Juniper berries are very strong in flavor. In fact a cup full of juniper berries could easily mask rancid mutton <insert tongue firmly in cheek>
Bear~ Thank you for the clarification on the measurements. Awesome info.
There are very few Saami cookbooks. There are Saami recipes in various Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish cookbooks. The rest tend to be handed down orally as part of the Saami tradition. Cooking duties were often split between male and female, but as time changed cooking traditions were maintained by the women.  In recent years various Saami groups (saiid) have gathered to preserve their culture and way of life. This is after many years of suppression and assimilation. Very similar story to the Native America history.
 The recipe I am working on came from a lead www.samiblog.blogspot.com. Down towards the bottom of the blog site is a list of links for traditional Saami cuisine. The Varanger Reindeer Women's/Várnjágga Nissonfierpámadat who mostly live in the Varanger Peninsula, Norway, were created as "consultants" to help educate other women and students about the Saami way of living. That is why the recipes are written in Norwegian.
I have left over elk from another dish I made so I am going to use that meat for this "casserole."
What is this groups definition of casserole?
Takk Takk
Aelina the Saami

Duct Tape is like the Force: It has a light side & a dark side
and it holds the universe together.