[Sca-cooks] More on rotten meat... lard during Lent

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 13:27:59 PDT 2010

> Giano:
>
>>> Another gem that I'm having difficulty sourcing: during Lent, butter was replaced by pig fat.
>>>

> Antonia
> That's certainly not true in general terms. However, I have seen it
> asserted in print that the Spaniards got a blanket dispensation to eat
> lard during Lent as part of the Bull of the Crusade (Bull? Sacr?
> Cruciat? Dilucidatio)/./ In fact, that's only true in the sense that
> that Bull grants the faithful of the Spanish dominions got a
> dispensation to eat *meat* during most of Lent and most fast day.

I do not know early dispensations came into allowing meat during Lent.
My medieval sources say olive oil was used instead of lard. My former
husband´s family paid for dispensations but fish was customary in our
home on Fridays until I pointed out that it was more expensive than
chicken. After that we observed Lent on Fridays with chicken and onion
croquettes fried in olive oil.
Suey