[Sca-cooks] Stew vs Casserole.

H Westerlund-Davis yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 14:49:50 PDT 2010

When

Last weekend I made the dish. I did use a cast iron stew pot to make the dish. The end result was more stew like then a traditional casserole. The dish was cooked on the stove top and on propane.  I think it is a matter of translation from Norwegian to English.
Any way... had fun making the dish and I have more to try out.
Aelina the Saami

There might be two in the modern sense relating to the:
Actual dish, usually of earthenware, glass, or cast iron, in which food is both baked and served. or it might be the food being prepared and served in such a dish.

OED lists
1. A kind of stew-pan.
1725 BRADLEY Fam. Dict. s.v. Roach, Roaches may..be dress'd in a Casserole.

The edging or outer portion of certain dressed dishes.
1706 PHILLIPS, Casserole..a Loaf stuff'd with a Hash of roasted Pullets, Chickens, etc., and dress'd in a Stew-Pan of the same Bigness with the Loaf; also a kind of Soop or Potage of Rice, etc. with a Ragoo.

Johnnae