[Sca-cooks] honey bees

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 25 23:00:22 PDT 2010

Devra replied to me with:
<<< Stefan asked what the honey bees in NYC were going to feed on.
Aside from the million trees and the two major botanical gardens (1 in
Brooklyn and 1 in the Bronx) there are thousands of private homes with
flower gardens, dozens of large and small public parks, and all the
roadsides that have clover, etc etc.

It's not all concrete, y'know. >>>

Yep. My comments were, in part, a joke. It seems someone else on this
list has razed Adamantius in the past about there not being anything
living in NYC or at least no cattails.

However, there has also been warnings on this list about being careful
not to select herbs and various plants near roads and highways. This
makes me wonder whether honey collected in areas of dense urban
development and therefor pollutants would be safe for human
consumption. I know there are warnings about eating fish and shellfish
gathered from such areas.

For good or bad, such honey would also not be of a specific type, ie:
clover honey or orange flower honey, since it would be composed of a
variety of different plant nectars.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com