[Sca-cooks] A Feast in the Time of Chaucer

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 12:11:40 PDT 2010

Not sure about this period but I do know that during the Renaissance in
Italy, kitchens were frequently on the same floor as the dining room,
usually at the top of the house.  That way smoke from the fires, etc could
be more easily vented...and food could be served easily while it was still
hot.  http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1487_renaissance/cucina.htmlis
a web page from an exhibition about homes in Italy during the
Renaissance
and you can see both a cross section of a house showing the kitchen on the
top floor and a painting by Vincenzo Campi where you can see the dining room
through a portal on the other side of the kitchen.

Kiri

--
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."