[Sca-cooks] Interesting article on the female origins of beer

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 31 00:23:37 PDT 2010

--- emilio szabo <emilio_szabo at yahoo.it> schrieb am Mi, 31.3.2010:

> Von: emilio szabo <emilio_szabo at yahoo.it>
> Betreff: [Sca-cooks] Interesting article on the female origins of beer
> An: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
> Datum: Mittwoch, 31. März, 2010 01:25 Uhr
>
> << Between the eighth and tenth centuries AD the
> Vikings spread terror by rampaging through Europe, fuelled
> by women-made ale >>
>

> Any support for this?

I'm looking. Pretty much all the books that mention it say that brewing was women's work, but none provide reasoning or sources. If we assume cooking was women's work and we know serving the beverage was women's work, we can at least make a plausible case, I guess. But I'd be happier with harder data.