[Sca-cooks] The Banana Diet

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 1 07:22:22 PST 2010

On Mar 1, 2010, at 8:04 AM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> One can't ignore the famous Doctor Kellogg or his brother.

Mmmmmmm... Corn flakes with a side of Protose...

> They certainly predate 1924.
>
> Then there's Sylvester Graham.
>
> And for a real treat try the writings of Thomas Tryon [September 6, 1634 – August 21, 1703]
> who wrote extensively on diet and advocated vegetarianism. Ben Franklin read and endorsed
> Tryon's practices at various times.

And then there is the proto-Atkins Salisbury Diet (featuring the ever-popular Salisbury Steak, which, from Salisbury's own instructions, sounds pretty darned good), which dates from the 1860's, I believe.

And these are the ones created by doctors. There were also plenty of fads among the influential media elite of the day (for example, people wanting to be vegetarians just like Shelley).

I'm still wondering if perhaps I misunderstood the statement. I do realize it is a quote, and not, perhaps, the actual opinion of the poster.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter