[Sca-cooks] Period recipe for Pea Soup?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Mar 3 16:49:39 PST 2010

Kean Gryffyth wrote:
> Greetings all,
>     We're looking for a period recipe for Pea Soup. The little data
> we've been able to find indicates that while everybody seems to have
> had one. but because it was low-end peasant food, no-one wrote the
> recipe down. Any leads, clues or even recipes! would be greatly
> appreciated!
>
> -Kean
Well, there's "Green Pesen Royal" from _Ancient Cookery_ and "Perre"
from the _Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books_. I especially like Perre.
Both recipes are available in redacted for in Cariadoc's _Miscellany_,
and he also provides the original recipes, so you can do your own
redaction if you like.

There's a PDF of the _Miscellany_ at
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

or an alphabetical listing (with links) to the recipes only at
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/recipe_index.html
<http://www.pbm.com/%7Elindahl/cariadoc/recipe_index.html>

I highly recommend the _Miscellany_ as a good starting point for
learning the how-to of basic medieval cooking. Just be aware though- His
Grace doesn't care for saffron, and tends to list small amounts when it
appears in a recipe. You may want to adjust the amounts if you like
saffron (as I do. Give me more saffron!).

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore