[Sca-cooks] Lustgarten was Another question on peas

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Mar 4 09:46:18 PST 2010

If I have this correct, Lustgarten der Geshundheit was originally published
in Frankfort in 1546.  It is an encyclopedia on agrarian subject from a
medical point of view, Ryff being a physician.

Let me suggest that you add Leonard Fuchs herbal to your study.  The herbal
is contemporaneous to the Lustgarten.  The plates are webbed at Yale and
there is another online facsimile with the original German text.  Also, an
edition was published (with English translations) only a few years ago.
That may be available through ILL.  Fuchs makes some errors and raises a
number of questions, but he is highly useable as a mid-16th Century source.

Bear