[Sca-cooks] Charlemagne and the doctors

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Sun Mar 7 13:03:17 PST 2010

-----Original Message-----
> "His health was good until four years before he died, when he suffered
from constant fevers.  Toward the very end he also became lame in one foot.
Even then he trusted his own judgment rather than the advice of his
physicians, whom he almost loathed, since they urged him to stop eating
roast meat, which he liked, and to start eating boiled meat."

> Einhard, The Life of Charlemagne, chapter 22.

Yes- that's the quote that got me started on the whole thing of
wondering why his doctors insisted on boiled meats. (As it turns out, no
one tells the emperor what to do!) Have a brand-new copy of Anthimus
that I'm starting in on. Might get some illumination there. :-)

'Lainie>>>>

Though I don't know if the physicians would have know exactly but could it
have been the carcinogens that roasted tends to have. Perhaps they had
associated the condition to the roasted meat.

De